Sunday, February 18, 2007

Bittersweet Homecoming

Well, we made it home.
We got up on Friday at 4:30 am and got ready to leave the hotel at 6am. Lily Rose really didn't like being up that early but she was a trooper. Our guide Connie met us at 6 am and off we went. I was so happy that I didn't mind (at the time) that I didn't have a cup of coffee. It was a very crappy morning. It was very, very foggy and we knew it was going to rain at some point. Anyway, we get to the airport and it was packed. I mean thousands of people. Tons of us with our babies just wanting to get home. So we check in and off to the first security point. Well I guess they were not in good moods because they pulled us off the line and made us check one of our carry ons. You see we had to buy 2 more small suitcases for all the stuff we bought. So thank god Connie was still in ear shot and she brought us bad to check in and cut this huge line and got our bag checked. She was a very funny girl and I really liked her. So we go back to the security and another guy wants to check our other bag that was checked by the first guy and I thought Connie was going to rip his head off. She was yelling at him and finally he let us through. Well that was not the last obstacle we had to go through. The next security check point was not any better. When I went through with Lily Rose I had a quarter in my pocket and boy you would think what was in my pocket. They had that freakin wade all over me, in here, over there and then on Lily Rose too. Well I really had a good laugh because when Anthony came through, they made him take his shoes off and he's sitting there and he's really pissed and he asking them if they want him to take his socks off too. then the belt had to come off and they had that freakin wade out again and it was working double time. So, ok we make it through that point. Now, we only have like 20 minutes to get to our gate and it on the other side of the airport. So we get one of those cars and they want money. So Anthony pulls out American money and they won't take it. So now we are searching for their money and I forgot that I had some so we took care of that. What ever happened to courtesy cars? Well, we then have to go through another security point and again, Anthony had to take his shoes off. Mind you we don't see anyone else going through this. So Anthony is now starting to call them all Lappers and such and we are getting frazzled by the minute. We finally get to the gate and just in time mind you. Now we give them the boarding pass and start to walk down that hallway and sure enough, there are some security people and they want our passports. Hello, we just went through 3 or 4 security points. I think if we weren't who we were suppose to be, someone would have picked it up by now, don't you? We finally get on the plane and it is full of American families going home with their babies. It was a great flight.
We get into Hong Kong and we had to walk miles and miles to the other side of the airport to check in for our flight home. By this time Anthony and I are not talking to each other. We are both so tired and I was just so focused on getting home to see my son who was not going to be at the airport because he was still sick and it was really cold out here in NY, so I was very upset over that and Anthony just didn't get it. So we finally check in and go to our gate and I finally get a cup of COFFEE. I took 3 or 4 sips and threw it out. There's nothing like Maxwell House coffee made in my kitchen. So we board the plane and it was a full house. I would say there was about 26 or 27 families with babies going home. Everyone had enough and didn't care who knew it. I thought I was the only one being so TRUTHFUL, but I was wrong. Lots of other families felt the same way we did. Anyway, we got lucky, the middle seat was empty for us and Lily Rose got to lay out and sleep. She was really good on the 15 hour flight. She never cried and talked up a storm to anyone that walked by and just had a great time. She loves Ritz crackers and ate most of the flight home. Well, the flight had lots of turbulence and it lasted most of the flight. At one point we were hitting air pockets and coming out of our seats. Scary is not the word I would use for that, but something way beyond that. I didn't sleep at all on the flight and I was exhausted and so not feeling well. We finally land and then had to go trough immigration which wasn't bad at all, but we had to wait for our luggage for a long time. I called Anthony's cousin Maryann who was picking us up with my cousin Gina and I asked her who else was with her because her husband Joe which is Lily Rose's Godfather was suppose to be there also, but with the weather he was working. So she tells me it's just her and Gina. We get all but one suitcase and we are waiting and waiting and I finally go up to see if I can see the other suitcase and after a while I see it. The bright orange sticker we put on it was missing and the thing was going round and round on the belt for who knows how long. We didn't know it was ours and so we wasted a 1/2 hour right there. So we are walking to where everyone is waiting and I see Maryann and Gina waving like nuts. So I have Lily Rose and Anthony has the 20 piece of luggage LOL and a man is walking kinda in front of me but just a little to my right side and all of a sudden I see this boy come out of nowhere and he's running towards us and I realized it was Joseph and I started screaming and I took off running and knocked the man right out of my way and Lily Rose is holding on for dear life and I am yelling Joseph's name and people must have thought I was nuts but I really didn't care one bit. I almost knocked Joseph down when I got to him. I couldn't let him go and Lily Rose was looking at us in amazement. It was the best feeling in the world to hold my son. When I finally could see I started crying all over again, because my son was holding onto me and crying his eyes out and all he kept saying to me was , "I can't believe your home and please don't leave me again." I still cry when I think about it. My cousin Gina was trying to video tape it all and she's shaking like a nut and crying and I had to laugh at her she was so funny. Maryann really pulled through for us and we are forever grateful to her. More then she knows. She called us everyday while we were in China and it was a lifesaver for me to hear her voice everyday. Of course we sat in traffic for a long time but finally we got home.
Now, there was a really big sign on the door that my son made and I have to get a picture of it and post it so you all can see what a great job he did. When my mother saw her granddaughter for the first time it was priceless. Lily Rose thought otherwise. She cried and wouldn't go to her. It was strange because she went to Gina and Maryann and I never saw a kid of any age not want to go to my mother. So I felt very bad for my mother. Lily Rose is still having a hard time going to my mother. So after a little while she had a ball checking out her new home. She walked all over my mothers house and then we brought her upstairs to our house and she absolutely loved her room. She loves all her toys and her dolls. She was pointing to all of them and talking to them. My friend Liz stopped by to say hello and see how my mother was doing. My mother is still very sick and so very sad. (I'll get to that in a minute) Lily Rose loves her big brother Joseph. She follows him around and likes to sit by him. Lily Rose let my mother feed her and she has sat on her lap for a little while and looks very content being there, but she still won't go to her when my mother holds out her arms. I know it will take time but....
Anyway, my mother made a big dinner and my brother came over to eat. I will now tell you why our homecoming was bittersweet and why my mother is so very sad. My brother left for Iraq on Saturday (the day after we got home) for a year. I will not get into why and all of that, but my mother can't handle it. We always felt horrible for the mothers and fathers who had children over there fighting this war and now we are one of those families.
I feel horrible because I got really sick and had to lay down and didn't get to spend much time with my brother Friday night. But I do know that he loves his new niece and from what I heard she loved him. They said she went to him and sat on his lap and talked to him. Thank god I got a picture of it. They woke me up when he was leaving and I wish they didn't because it was the saddest day for us. My mother was holding on to him and wouldn't let him out of the door and she was crying and begging him not to go and my brother is trying to hold it together and then he just lost it. It was crazy. Everyone is crying and she's not letting go and he had to pry her hands off of him and kinda ran out the door. There's my mother standing at the door and she aged 10 years right in front of us. I thought my mother was going to have a heart attack right there. She has a heart condition to begin with and this is really putting a strain on her. I think that is why Lily Rose is having a hard time attaching to her. She feels her sadness and she saw her crying and I think she is afraid. I hope that changes for my mothers sake. I want my daughter to love her like Joseph loves her. A few minutes after my brother left, Maryann and Joe came in. Joe wanted to see his new goddaughter. She went to him, no problem. They stayed a while and then left. We got everyone ready for bed and we all fell asleep. Lily Rose got up a few times, but went right back to sleep.
Saturday, we all felt a little better. We unpacked and I started to wash all the clothes. We had to go to the store and get somethings for Lily Rose. I went to Target and had to get her some clothes that fit her. I had to buy 12 months. The 18 months are big and the 12 months JUST fit her. I mean probably buy next month they won't, but I needed some stuff. Couldn't find that many winter things though. Oh well, I will improvise. One of her teeth came through and it was very painful for her. But she doing much better. She fell asleep at like 6:45 and Joseph fell asleep at like 7pm. I went to bed at 8pm, I was exhausted. Lily Rose got up a lot during the night but would go back to sleep after a while. I have been up since 3am and it is now 4:45am. I will post pictures of my family soon. Hope you enjoyed.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys...
I am so glad to hear that you arrived home safe and you had a good flight. I am sure once Lily Rose is around your Mom, she will absolutely love her like all of us do! I am shocked to hear about Ralph, wow, that happened fast! We support what he is doing but can only imagine your fears. He has a lot to come home to, and know that he will do what he has to and come home safely! I called your cell and was glad that I got your voicemail, I didn't want to bother you guys, just wanted to let you all know that we were thinking about you and your safe return! Give me a call when things settle, in the meantime, enjoy your family and treasure all the moments of Lily meeting the entire family and the time she has with Joseph. Take lots of pictures!!
Love you guys!!
WELCOME HOME!!
Love,
Joey, Trish and JoJo

Jenni said...

WELCOME HOME!!! So glad that you're home safe and back with Joseph!! Can't wait to see pics.
I am so sorry you're brother had to leave. I hope you're mom is able to find comfort. My brother has been there twice now and we pray all the time there won't be a third time.
Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

Glad everyone is home safely. For your mother you need to read Psalm 91. My son spent a year in IRAQ. I read that scripture verse every morning. You will be in our prayers. Vicki

lara said...

So glad you got home safe and to joseph being at the airport too, but sorry that your brother has been called away and that it is hard on your mum, hoping she feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

WELCOME HOME!!!
IM SURE IT IS SOOOOO GOOD TO BE HOME,ALTHOUGH THE NEWS ABOUT RALPH WAS UPSETTING AND HEARING ABOUT AUNT LILY AND HOW UPSET SHE IS IS HEART BREAKING BUT PLEASE KNOW YOU ALL ESPEC.RALPH ARE IN OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS. I WAS SO GLAD TO HEAR JOE WAS ABLE TO MAKE IT TO THE AIRPORT IM SURE IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST PARTS COMING HOME I KNOW I WOULD HAVE BEEN DOWN TOO IF HE THERE BUT IN THE END IT ALL WORKED OUT:) I WAS GOING TO GIVE YOU A CALL BUT I DIDNT BECAUSE IM SURE YOU GUYS ARE SO BUSY SO I WANT FOR YOU TO CALL WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE I WOULD LOVE TO SPEAK TO YOU!!!WHEN YOUR READY PLEASE CALL. IF YOU GUYS NEED ANYTHING AND I MEAN ANYTHING PLEASE LET US KNOW WE ARE HERE FOR YOU ALL NO MATTER WHAT AND EVEN THOUGH WE DONT SEE EACH OTHER AS OFTEN OUR DOOR IS ALWAYS OPEN FAMILY IS FAMILY AND THATS IT!!SO DONT ANY OF YOU FORGET THAT. ALL MY LOVE TO YOU ALL XOXO JANINE

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Congratulations on being back in your own beds drinking your own coffee. :)

PS. What's a lapper?

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! I am so glad that you are all back safe and sound. Lily Rose is so lucky to have Joseph as a big brother, and she will warm up to your mother once she is familiar with all her new surroundings. Welcome back, and thanks again for letting us all follow you through this miraculous journey.
God bless,
Ann H.

Anonymous said...

WELCOME HOME!!!! WE MISSED YOU VERY MUCH!!! Lily Rose is beautiful, and what a wonderful family she has been born into. Enjoy every minute with her. What wonderful memeories you will have about this whole journey. To the big brother Joseph, have lots of fun with your new sister. For your mom and your family we pray that Ralph returns home safely. He is doing something he feels he needs to do, just hang in there. Lily will be some of a distraction for all of you for the next year. Utilize all of the family and friends around you to help you through this rough time, especially for your mom. Remember we love you guys and we will be by to visit again soon, we wanted to give you some time to re-adjust to the time change and being home with your new addtition. Love to all. Love Joe, Maryann, Gary, John & Thomas

Anonymous said...

Ok lady! Time is up! I have been missing my Lily fix! I need pictures!!!

And give your mom a big hug from us!

SARA said...

I am so sorry to hear of your horrible homecoming. But I am glad that you got to see him before he left!
Glad you made it home safe.

Anonymous said...

Hi! You do not know me, but I came across your blog on February 14. We are in the process of adopting a daughter from China, and I have LOVED reading your blog about your daughter, and your trip, she is Beautiful!!!! I came across your blog on a day that was kinda blah for me. It seems that the journey to get our daughter will never end, but your story has given me much to look forward to. By the way we have picked out the name Lily also, we have 2 bio kids, Lauren and Landon so we stuck with the "L". Anyway congratulations all the way from NC, and I just wanted you to know that your story has helped inspire many who are going on the same journey, Thanks So Much!!!